Vacancy opportunity – Chief Operating Officer – MicroLoan Malawi
We have an exciting opportunity to join our leadership Team. Based in Lilongwe, the Malawi Chief Operating Officer will be responsible leading Microloan Foundation Malawi (MLF Malawi) into it’s next phase of development
Closing date: 8th September
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Reporting to: The Board of Directors
About MicroLoan Malawi
MLF Malawi is the largest operation within the MLF Group. Currently it operates 15 branches with 100 staff across the country, serving approximately 25,000 clients. The Company aims to significantly increase its reach to female clients through expansion and new partnerships, achieve a sound financial and social performance and become a key player in the provision of financial services to the rural poor in Malawi.
The CEO will lead MLF Malawi into its next phase of development, which will focus on growth, achieving operational and financial sustainability and strengthening of systems. In the medium term, the CEO will also begin to prepare the company for obtaining a deposit license and expand its offering to its clients which could include microinsurance and mobile money. This is an exceptional opportunity for a professional heavyweight who will strengthen the operations, develop and execute the business strategy, drive the organisation forward and motivate all staff to achieve ambitious growth targets. This is a position that requires the services of a dynamic and forward-thinking leader who is commercially oriented and dedicated to ensuring provision of superior services to clients and making a positive and long-lasting impact on their lives.
The expected duration of this contract will be for an initial period of 3 years.
The CEO will be responsible for all aspects of the business including:
- Implementing and communicating the company’s vision, mission and overall strategy and direction.
- Building high performance teams which are self-managing.
- Overseeing risk management and full compliance with all legal requirements affecting the company’s business and operations.
- Stakeholder management with the board, shareholders, regulatory authorities, investors and donors.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in a finance or business-related field
- Proven (at least 7 years) relevant professional and technical knowledge and experience of financial services environment, particularly within Microfinance, of which at least three years must be in leadership roles (CEO/COO/CFO).
- Experience with choosing and implementing appropriate fintech.
- Strong experience in managing risks, including both success and failure in areas like scale-up.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including a management style that brings out the skills of those managed.
- Excellent analytical skills as well as the ability to design and execute efficient processes.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and rapidly changing environment.
- Malawi experience is ideal, otherwise experience within Sub-Saharan Africa is essential.
- Fluent English (spoken and written).
If you are interested in this position and are a strong potential candidate, please express your interest by sending your current CV with a brief covering email to email@example.com by Sunday 8th September with ‘Malawi CEO’ in the subject of the mail. At that stage you will be sent further information and an application form. Thereafter, you may be short-listed for interview.