ROLE: Corporate Fundraising Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Fundraising & Communications LOCATION: Brentford
HOURS: Full time 37.5 Hours per week
SALARY: Circa £35k TERM OF APPOINTMENT: Permanent
BENEFITS: 25 days annual leave plus generous contributory pension scheme
MicroLoan Foundation (MLF) helps some of the poorest women in the world feed their families, send their children to school and pay for life saving medicines. We are a very different kind of charity, offering hope, not handouts. By providing small loans (average £60) and ongoing business training and support, MicroLoan empowers women in rural Malawi and Zambia to set up self-sustainable businesses. The profits from these businesses enable the women to work themselves and their families out of poverty. The charity has significant plans for growth in both existing and new countries in Sub Saharan Africa and this role is pivotal in driving the funding for this growth.
MicroLoan has pioneered an innovative and sustainable microfinance model suited to remote rural areas and for people most in need in the community. The organisation enables women to work their way out of poverty by providing opportunities to develop lifelong skills, access vital financial services and establish sustainable small businesses. Crucially, MicroLoan works at the grassroots, with people who are usually ignored by other organisations in this sector because of their needs or location.
THE FUNDRAISING & COMMUNICATIONS TEAM:
The Fundraising & Communications (F&C) team is responsible for generating income and driving engagement from new and existing supporters. They will do this by developing high impact long-term relationships with individual major donors, companies and institutions (including statutory funding) and by engaging mass support through events, marketing and community fundraising. There is a need to bring in new support across all areas with a particular focus on developing our corporate and major donor fundraising streams. The team will continue to ensure that they support, cultivate and steward existing relationships that may be philanthropic, commercial or both in nature, to deliver value and growth.
Based in London and reporting to the Director of Fundraising & Communications, you will be responsible for developing and managing MicroLoan’s portfolio of Corporate Partnerships to meet both financial and non-financial targets. MLF currently derives limited income from Corporate Partnerships and much of the current income is restricted. So there is a real opportunity to grow unrestricted fundraising income from all areas of corporate fundraising but in particular, charity of the year style partnerships, sponsorship, matched-funders and strategic partnerships that have shared values with MLF. You will be responsible for building a pipeline for new business as well as delivering ‘best in class’ account management for any successful new partnerships. You will be working closely with the Director of F&C but will be expected to use your own initiative to grow this new area for MLF.
Prime focus areas:
- Working with the Director of F&C, the CEO and other members of the team, build a corporate new business pipeline, agreeing target prospects using research that has already been completed and your own
- Ensure new business prospects are cultivated through information, relationship building and events to help build a portfolio of new corporate support to meet the agreed targets with a focus on high- value, multi-year
- Producing winning proposals and applications that can deliver quick wins early into the role as prospects are
- You will account manage any new partners ensuring that MLF delivers on its commitments and the relationship is developed through excellent
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Strategy & Planning
- Work closely with the Director of F&C to plan financial targets and objectives for corporate income over a rolling 3 year This should include projection of associated costs and resource required.
- Identify key target areas for ‘quick wins’ as well as plans for long term income growth and
- Agree a top 20 prospect hit list for 2015 and early 2016 and develop a clear plan of action to approach and Ensure that MLF team, Trustees and senior volunteers are aware of this list in order to facilitate any possible routes in and introductions.
- Specially develop and manage a Charity of the Year calendar ensuring that prospects are prioritised and applications are planned and Identify the most ‘appropriate’ Charity of the Year partners for MLF where the Charity easily meets the application criteria and has a high chance of being shortlisted. This will ensure we are using our time efficiently.
- Develop a (or more) corporate partnership proposition that will help attract new partners to MLF and that MLF can
Corporate New Business
- Develop a sustainable pipeline of corporate partners to support and/or sponsor fundraising products and
- Identify opportunities for MLF to increase its awareness within target new business markets (e.g. events, forums, speaking opportunities ) and utilise the MLF senior team and Trustees to help take advantage of these.
- Work with the MLF operational team to identify new business funding opportunities and develop these into enticing propositions with a compelling case for
- Your focus will be on securing unrestricted income for the widest range of support but there will be times when you will need to identify specific areas or projects for new business You will need to work with the rest of the fundraising team to ensure we are allocating projects to the appropriate donors to maximise income and develop relationships.
- Project manage all corporate applications and pitches to meet Ensure that the application process and timeline is communicated to all appropriate stakeholders and roles and responsibilities are clearly defined.
- You will be expected to draft and complete the majority of applications which should be of excellent quality with engaging visual and written Each application must have a clear, compelling case for support, contain agreed MLF messaging and include accurate information and budgets where needed. You will ensure all application criteria are met and guidelines followed.
- Support the Director of F&C and the CEO (and where appropriate, lead) Meetings and presentations to support any written applications.
- Support the Director of F&C and the CEO (and where appropriate, lead) negotiations to ensure mutually beneficial contracts are agreed that are robust and Ensure all commitments are realistic and kept.
- Identify other charities MLF could partner with to build a stronger or broader case for
- Account manage the partnerships and establish yourself as the key contact at MLF providing the highest quality client management for the partners you
- Set clear objectives and plans for any corporate partnerships MLF secures and contribute to the budget setting process ensuring that any expenditure allows for a reasonable
- Proactively develop excellent relationships across the business, allowing networking at all levels and, where required, facilitate senior level relationships between directors at MLF and the corporate
- Develop and manage exciting fundraising ideas and positions to meet the client’s needs while maximising the fundraising assets MLF already has access to (e.g. Challenge Events).
- With support from the wider MLF team and volunteers (you may need to recruit), you will be expected to support the partners fundraising efforts and
- Liaise effectively with the team at MLF to ensure clients’ and the Charity’s requirements are being
- Undertake appropriate monitoring, evaluation and reporting of each partnership including income and expenditure tracking and
- Manage any external agencies and third parties are
- As the corporate portfolio grows, you may be expected to recruit and manage further account
- You will be required to offer support at MLF events some of which may be at weekends and At these events you will be expected to act as an ambassador for MLF at events, supporting the delivery of MLF’s vision and ensure that MLF’s profile and reputation are enhanced.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records for all supporters and prospects using MLF’s database, ensuring all supporter information is managed and stored in-line with Data Protection
- Support and deliver other projects and tasks, in line with your skills and experience that might occur beyond your role and that contribute to our overall organisational
Part of the Fundraising & Communications team that comprises of:
- Head of Trusts & Foundations
- Trust Fundraising Officer
- Fundraising Manager – Major Donors, Events & Community
- Fundraising Assistant
- Marketing & Digital Communications Officer (newly recruited role)
- Corporate Fundraising Manager (vacant)
With a proven track record of managing a corporate fundraising portfolio, you will have demonstrable experience of both new business and account management of all types of corporate fundraising partnerships. You will be a self-starter, professional and confident in a corporate environment with no hesitation to make approaches to new prospects and to capitalise on opportunities. Experience of supporting a not-for-profit organisation is essential, and strong empathy to reduce poverty and inequality in Africa would be expected. You will be joining a small team and should be prepared to assist on projects outside of your immediate role in order to support your colleagues and MicroLoan’s overall objectives. You preferred working style will be collaborative, inclusive and practical with an appreciation of MicroLoan’s Values (see below).
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Minimum of 3 years corporate fundraising experience with a track record of income generation
- Demonstrable track record of successful account management across a range of partnerships
- Demonstrable results in delivering new partners for the charity
- Knowledge of corporate fundraising mechanics (e.g. CRM, COTY, Sponsorship)
- New business prospect planning and pipe-line management
- Preparing and managing expenditure & income
- Producing winning written proposals and delivering presentations
- Developing creative and imaginative fundraising and partner
- Prioritising projects, working to deadlines and achieving targets
- Knowledge of contracts, compliance and regulatory issues for fundraising partnerships
- Exceptional communication skills both written and oral with the ability to communicate to and influence a wide range of
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit, financial acumen, and commercial understanding
- Ability to understand financial and operational data
- Ability to work collaboratively across the organisation to achieve the best outcomes for MLF
- Knowledge/understanding of fundraising principles and codes of practice
- Excellent PC skills with the ability to produce stimulating and engaging presentations
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to juggle a number of assignments at the same time and competing
- Ability to work autonomously and be self-motivated
- Ability to influence and build relationships at all
- Excellent networking skills with ability to engage new audiences
- Proven ability to maintain effective stakeholder relationships both internally and
MICROLOAN FOUNDATION’S VALUES
Far-reaching: Many women are stuck in poverty, struggling to support themselves and their families – we find and help them so they can build a sustainable life, irrespective of background and belief.
Attentive: We respect and listen to all, especially the individuals we help, they know what they need.
Small: We discover the point where a small intervention can make the biggest impact – we can take a chance with someone if it is small.
Consistent: We do what is right with conviction, sensitivity, enthusiasm and inventiveness.
Open: We are open and honest about success and failure, use time and funds effectively, value teamwork and accept there is always a better way.
How to apply:
If you wish to apply for this role, please send your CV plus covering letter by the 22nd of September to email@example.com. Covering letters should be no longer than 1 side of A4.